Kashmiri saag is one of the most commonly cooked vegetables in the Kashmiri household. It is an inseparable cuisine for all functions and festivals. The best part about this dish is the minimal cooking time it takes. The leaves look like spinach along with the bulb like shalgam which is green in colour. Kashmiri Haak can be cooked in different styles with lotus stem(nadru haak), or if you like your curry a bit spicy add red chilli powder to make the curry red. But the real Kashmiri Haak doesnt have any onions tomatoes no masala.
Without wasting much more time here we go.!!!!!!.
1. Peel off the skin from the shalgam.Be carefull you dont want to peel off to much of the shalgam.
2. Using a slicer just make medium sized round pieces of the shalgam.
3. Now strip the leaves into half.
4. Be careful while you cut the leaves into half do check for bugs as when kept in stores you may find. check for short white lines on the leaves if you find tear that part off.
5.Wash the slices of the shalgam and the leaves.
6. In a pressure cooker hot some mustard oil. Now rush into putting the vegetables when you cook with mustard oil. let it get hot untill you see smoke oozing out of the oil.Lower the flame and then put the vegetables. If not heated properly the fragrance of raw mustard oil can get into the dish.
7. Cut some 3-4 green red chilllies if you have slit them and put it into the hot oil.
8. A pinch of hing(asafoetida) and then put all the leaves and the slices into the pressure cooker.
- MANOJ PANDIT